Pedodontics & Preventive Dentistry
Third Year , BDS
(at the end of the session the student should be able to)
|1.||Introduction to Pedodontics & preventive dentistry
||Should demonstrate understanding about pedodontic subject and the difference between child and adult patient.
|1.To know what is pedodontics.
2. Changing trends in scope of Pedodontics.
3. Pedodontic treatment triangle
4. Importance of pedodontics
|1. Didactic lecture through
Power point presentation
|2||Growth & Development
||1. Summarize and illustrate the development of maxilla and mandible (pre natal and post natal) by giving descriptions and stating main ideas.
2. Enumerate various theories of growth in relation to the growth of maxilla and mandible
3. Examine and categorize Growth spurts and its importance in dentistry
|1.To cover theories of growth.
2.Prenatal growth changes of oro-facial structures and reflexes
3. Postnatal growth
4. Growth spurts , scammon growth curve, and growth marker
5. Age related changes of maxilla and mandible.
|1. Didactic lecture through Power point presentation
2. Study charts.
3. Through various types of x-rays.
|3.||Dental Anatomy and Histology.
||1.list out and recall all symptoms of Teething and its management
2. Compare, contrast and illustrate various morphological and anatomical differences between primary and permanent teeth.
3. Recall and relate Chronology and eruption of teeth and its importance.
|1.Eruption and shedding of teeth.
2. teething disorder and their management
3. Chronology and eruption of teeth.
4. Differences between primary and permanent teeth.
5. Importance of first permanent molar.
6. Age estimation methods
7. dental age
8. Nolla’s stages of tooth development
|1.Didactic lecture through power point presentation
3. cast models
definition, etiology ,pathogenesis , clinical features , complications and management.
|1. Remember and recall -Theories, definition, etio-pathogenesis of dental caries.
2. Evaluate and estimate ECC -definition, clinical features and its management.
3. Analyze and inspect the Role of diet in dental caries
4. How to record diet chart and estimate sugar exposure and interpret diet counseling.
5. How to perform caries activity test and interpret their clinical implication.
2. Rampant caries and ECC
c. Clinical features.
3. Role of diet and nutrition in dental caries.
a. Importance of minerals and vitamins
b. Food guide pyramid.
4. Explain various caries activity test and their clinical application.
|1.Didactic lecture through Power point
2. Practical demonstration.
3. software of different caries activity test.
4. Interactive session.
|5||Gingival & Periodontal Diseases in children.
||1.Features of normal gingiva and periodontium
2. Gingival diseases in childhood
a. chronic inflammatory enlargement
b. acute inflammatory enlargement
c. herpetic gingivostomatitis
d. drug induced gingival hyperplasia
3. Periodontitis in children
a. Juvenile periodontitis
b. Pappilion lefevre syndrome
|1. Didactic lecture through power point presentation
2. Study charts
3. Radiographic discussion
|7||Case history recording
a. Case history
|8||Dental radiology related to pedodontics||1. Demonstrate and explain the various techniques.
2. Interpret and justify the criteria for exposing of radiograph in asymptomatic children
3. Elaborate and predict Localization of tooth by SLOB technique
|1. Techniques of radiograph
2. Radiation exposure and film sizes
3. SLOB rule –localization technique
4. Digital receptors- cone beam biometric projection technique
|1. Practical demonstration
2. Didactic lecture through power point presentation
3. Showing various sizes of film.