- Posted by SGTU_DENTAL_WEBTEAM
- Date FEBRUARY 4, 2022
World Cancer Day is an international day marked on 4th February to raise awareness of cancer and to encourage its prevention, detection, and treatment. World Cancer Day is led by the Union for International Cancer Control (UICC) to support the goals of the World Cancer Declaration, written in 2008. The primary goal of World Cancer Day is to significantly reduce illness and death caused by cancer and is an opportunity to rally the international community to end the injustice of preventable suffering from cancer. The day is observed by the United Nations.
Oral cancer is the 3rd most common cancer overall and the most common cancer among males in our country. It commonly occurs on the lips, tongue, inner cheeks, gums, palate, floor of the mouth, throat and sinuses.
To spread awareness about the same the department of Public Health Dentistry and the student members of Academic Association Innova8 Oral Health Care, Faculty of Dental Sciences coordinated the following activities on the day.
- The faculty members, postgraduates, interns and students posted in Public Health Dentistry imparted awareness to all patients at all Departmental OPD’s of Dental College and peripheral centres at SGT Medical Hospital and Basai Urban Centre.
- Every faculty member, postgraduate, intern and student of Faculty of Dental Sciences ensured awareness about oral cancer to all patients screened or treated by them on the day through the simple self-explanatory flyer on Oral Cancer.
- Through digital platforms handled by the SGT University wider circulation of the Information Brochure on Oral Cancer was also done for the benefit of all SGT University employees.
- To support the cause and show solidarity intern students also distributed representative ribbons to all teaching and clinical faculty members at FDSC.